Tuesday, August 7, 2012

In which I drone on about book titles


So you may or may not have heard me whining about my book title recently. In case you’ve somehow missed it, I’ll fill you in: The Witch Hunter’s Bible, my 2014 debut from Random House (you know I just had to do that), is changing titles.

I thought I completely loved my title and would hate if someone suggested changing it, (fun fact—it was the title that inspired me to write the book in the first place!), but all that was before I heard the reasoning behind the suggestion. Now I couldn’t agree more: that title needs to go. It’s not that I don’t love it anymore. Not at all. But this book is fun, adventurous, girl-centered, and snarky (er, so I’m told), and the title just doesn’t reflect that.

So after this realization occurred a week of stress, eyelash pulling out, and internet research whilst I tried to find the perfect name. And during this week of nachos (did I mention there were nachos? Also, cheese sauce), I came across some great advice on how to title a book, which I will now share with you.

Literary agent Rachelle Gardner has such great tips for titling your book that I'm not even going to try to paraphrase her. Just go here and do as the lady says.

And here’s an additional link from Rachelle highlighting the importance of a great title, even during the querying phase.

Happy reading!

Oh, and if anyone wants to come up with a title for me, have at ‘er. I still don’t have one, despite the rockin’ advice. WAH!




17 comments:

  1. Love the links to Rachelle's posts. Choosing the right title can be very difficult, but it can also be pretty exciting. Best of luck with choosing a new title for THE WITCH HUNTER'S BIBLE!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe something like THE YEAR I MADE THE CHEERLEADING SQUAD AND THE LOCAL WITCH COVEN? A little long, sorry, but I'm thinking Meg Cabot meets Rachel Hawkins? :o)
    Thinking along those lines.... INDIE (last name): CHEERLEADER, WITCH AND SNARKALIOUS BIOTCH. (Okay you probably can't have that as your title but lol!!!!)

    Titling is hard! VIOLENT DELIGHTS was originally titled The Little Novel that Could (LOL!) then it was titled Downward Spiral and then it was This Novel is Never Gonna Have a Title so Why Should I bother Imagine Querying it Let me just Trunk it now! LOL! I finally came up with VIOLENT DELIGHTS after re-reading Romeo and Juliet before my trip to London....and it hit me. :o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! Thanks for the suggestions, Rachel! And I LOVE the title Violent Delights. Amazing!

      Delete
  3. I wrote a long piece about titles many years ago that you can find here: http://www.scriptfly.com/articles/movietitles.shtml

    How about THE CHEERLEADER'S GUIDE TO WITCHCRAFT. I feel like it needs to be THE CHEERLEADER'S GUIDE TO DA da da DA da. THE CHEERLEADER'S GUIDE TO KIDNAPPING WITCHES or something like that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Gabrielle! Going to check out your post now.

      And I couldn't agree more re: The Cheerleader's Guide... I had something like that on my maybe list a while back, but then a winning contestant in the Christmas in July had a similar title, so now I think it'd be distasteful to go with that. But awesome idea!

      Delete
  4. I feel your pain! I just had to change the title for that book that your query critique helped me get published. It was painful but necessary and now the new title is so much better. The way we did it (my editor and I) was make a list of all the words associated with the book from the banal like dark to the specific like syzygy and then we matched up words to create punchy phrases. Good luck and happy title hunting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Xan! That advice is pretty much in keeping with what Rachelle Gardner says in the links. Ima definitely do that!

      Delete
  5. I won't even attempt to make any suggestions, but I can't wait to hear what you finally settle on for your title. Good luck. Wishing you inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the links. I'm not good at titles so I'll refrain from suggestions but good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! No problem, and thanks for the luck! I need it

      Delete
  7. I stink and writing titles. The only reason I ever settled on any sort of title at all was because I couldn't query the book as "Main Character's Name: Book One."

    Good luck with your retitling!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah that just doesn't have the right ring to it, does it? Haha!

      Thanks, Laura!

      Delete
  8. Cool links. I can't wait to hear what new title you pick!

    I'd suggest title ideas, but you've already heard them all in person, on the phone, and through text and email :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And more wicked ideas have not been had! Keep em coming, B-Randy!

      Delete
  9. Ooo, I am the worst at this. People have told me my title was clever, but basically the underground shelter the cult in my book uses looks like a farm silo, SO I named it THE SILO. It's so completely literal. Now I'm at a loss for the sequel. A total and complete loss! Hope you land on a good title for yours soon!

    ReplyDelete